Sunday, July 12, 2009
I'm blessed with the most unusual 2-year old
I realized tonight at dinner that I have the most unusual 2-year old. We picked beans from our garden tonight for dinner, and ended up with a mountain of beans. Even though my kids like the beans, I was a little worried that we wouldn't eat them all, but I shouldn't have been. Samuel had 4 helpings of beans, he probably ate 2 1/2-3 cups of green beans. Samuel loves all fruits and vegetables, no matter what vegetable I put on the table he seems to devour it. He is always bypassing the other items at the dinner and asking for seconds of the vegetable. He frequently has 2 or 3 helpings of salad, and loves to eat a whole carrot for a snack, or cucumbers(which he eats like a carrot) He loves broccoli, artichokes, corn, asparagus, zucchini, squash(all varieties), peas, tomato's, jicima, beets, and potatoes. I can't think of a vegetable he doesn't like, he even likes the leafy greens, like spinach, kale, and Swiss chard. Samuel hasn't also been a vegetable fan, but has become a lover of them in probably the last 6-12 months. My kids are all good at eating their veggies, but Samuel tops them all. While we were picking beans, he couldn't even wait for them to be cooked, he would just pick them and pop them in his mouth. If someone were to ask what my secret is to get kids to eat veggies, I would say that I eat them a lot, I cook them a lot, and I'm always trying new foods and make a big deal about everyone trying them and asking what they think about it. I also cook the veggies by themselves a lot of the time, since kids generally don't like their food mixed up with other things. Also the Garden helps to, the kids help with the garden, so when they have helped grow the food, they are much more inclined to try it and like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I don't blame them! I LOVE green beans; and you're right, anything from the garden is THE BEST!
that certainly is unusual. But very good. Good job mom!! You are great!
Post a Comment