Sunday, February 15, 2009

the rest of our around the world dinners!

Life has been very busy, so I'll catch up on our dinners.
Asia Night!
For Asia night we had some friends over for dinner, so it was a little crazy, but everyone loved the vegetable fried rice, especially the kids, and we also had vietnamese lettuce rolls, with a vietnamese dipping sauce that was made with fish sauce, so I didn't like it, becuase I don't like anything that tastes "fishy". The lettuce rolls, had rice noodles, chicken, bean sprouts, and carrots in them, but instead of using Bibb lettuce, I used romaine lettuce, and I had a difficult time rolling all the ingredients into the lettuce, and getting it to stay put. Joseph really wished we had chopsticks to eat the rice stuff with, but I didn't get them, becuase I thought it would end up as sword fights instead of eating utensils. We had fun with our friends, and we'll definatly be making the fried rice again.

India Night!
India night was supposed to be a cauliflower pea curry, but when I pulled out my cauliflower it was moldy, so we had leftovers instead, but we also had Anzac biscuits (which are more like cookies) from Australia and New Zealand. They are actually named after the New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) because they make good energy bars with the cocnut, and oatmeal in them. They were pretty yummy, and were gobbled up quite fast. For dessert I made Pavlova, which is also from Australia and New Zealand, which is made from meringue and fruit. I don't think I did it quite right, becuase it was supposed to form a white mound on the pan to bake it, and mine was too runny so it was all flat. But after the meringue was cooked I put whipped cream and then topped it with kiwis, I was going to put strawberries on too, but Samuel got into them and ate them. It was still very delicious, and everyone loved it, and look forward to making again, and seeing if I can get it to be a mound.

Cuba Night!
For cuba night we had Cuban Black Bean soup, and Tostones. Everyone loved the soup, the beans we're blended up, so it made it creamy, and also had ham in it which everyone loved. The tostones, which are basically fried plantains, with a little sea salt on top, were very yummy. Not all of the kids liked the tostones, but that was okay with Travis and I, we had no trouble at all finishing them off.

Tonight is our last around the world dinner, and it is the good ole USA. We're having parmesean baked Tilapia, sourdough bread, artichokes, and acorn squash with brown sugar and applesauce.
I'm sad that I have to return the cookbook this week, their are so many more recipes I want to try, so I'm planning on buying it, if anyone is interested it is called "Around the World Cookbook" by Abigail Johnson Dodge. It has been a wonderful experience and has really livened up our meal times, and taught us a lot about different foods, and trying new things. Our kids were amazing at trying all of these new foods, every single one of them tried everything I made. And even though they didn't like everything, they tried it, and no one said "eeewwww, gross" they would just say, I don't really like this one Mom.

No comments: