Sunday, January 30, 2011

My kids thoughts on Marriage

My mom sent me an email that had kids thoughts on marriage, so I decided to ask my kids the same questions, to see what they would say.  Just keep in mind, Joseph is 9, Austin is 7, Betsy is 6, and Samuel is 4.

1. HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO TO MARRY?

Joseph: I don't know, I'm 9 years old
Austin: By asking God.
Betsy:  By making sure they belong to the church, that they have faith in Jesus Christ.  It doesn't matter how they look
Samuel:  A Dog, because they lick
2. WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO GET MARRIED?
 Joseph: 22, because that's right after your mission.
Austin: I think 20
Betsy:  19
Samuel:  very old, like 6, 7, 8, or 9


3. HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?
Joseph: If there is a ring on their middle finger, well actually index....I mean I don't know
Austin: Maybe by there holding hands.
Betsy:  Because everybody is married, if it's two people, but only if it's a girl and a boy. 
Samuel:  Umm, if they kiss cheeks and lips.


4. WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MOM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?
Joseph: You both try to get us to choose the right
Austin: Love for each other.
Betsy:  You both have noses, and eyes, and you both go to church, unless someone is sick.
Samuel:  a light switch

5. WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE?
Joseph: They go to a fancy place to have fun or something, or eat.
Austin: They go to a restaurant and eat.'
Betsy:  They mostly go out to eat
Samuel:  They bring flashlights when it's dark, and do something that requires lots of flashlights  (just so you know, I have no clue what he is talking about)

6. WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?
Joseph: When you're sixteen
Austin: When you know them, and you think they're right for you, and you are supposed to ask God.
Betsy:  When you're getting married, or already married.
Samuel:  Kiss there cheeks

7. IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?
Joseph: Married, then you have somebody to help you on your way, and you'll have kids.
Austin: Married, because you're old enough to choose someone.
Betsy:  Married, because when you have a baby the husband can help so it doesn't hurt as much.
Samuel:  To not be married, because I want to go see the movie

8. HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDN'T GET MARRIED?
Joseph: There wouldn't be as many people, actually no one, except for Adam and Eve, and there wouldn't be as many animals. Because, animals have to get married too, like humans.
Austin: Then we wouldn't be alive, because Moms get married, and if Men didn't marry them, they wouldn't have babies.
Betsy:  Nobody would have babies, and there wouldn't be any parents or kids.
Samuel:  You would have puppies to hold, and bring flashlights

9. HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK? Joseph: I'd go to the temple, and have whatever happens there, happen.
Austin: The boy would have to be nice.
Betsy:  Not be a squirrel bait (something Travis calls the kids when they aren't being good)
Samuel:  You bring flashlights and frog tanks

3 comments:

Amanda D said...

I love this! It's hilarious. I should ask my own kids the questions.

The Cole Family said...

Oh my goodness! That was so funny! I'm going to steal this. I think someone likes flashlights! :)

The Mergenthaler Family said...

I liked reading that. It sounds like they get the general idea . . . except for Samuel, but he's 4. I think he needs a flashlight for his birthday. Cute kids.