Sunday, October 27, 2019

July 2019

This is what happens when we go hiking and Gideon gets all muddy, which is often!

Travis climbing down from the top of the waterfall




Pretty muddy!


I went to the PCC with Maia, it was fun to go without any kids




Gideon at the top of Chinaman's hat


We all climbed to the top of Chinaman's hat, (except Maia)



This is us starting to kayak towards Chinaman's hat.  how did we all fit?  Malachi is hanging onto a boogie board tied to the kayak, Caleb is hanging onto a boogie board tied to the other kayak, and Gideon is sitting on Travis or my lap.  

After this trek up Koko head, Travis said he would never take Gideon again.  Gideon is always asking to go on this hike, but before we even got to the trailhead he wanted to be carried.  So Travis carried him up in the hiking backpack the whole time.  He wanted to get out a couple times, but we didn't want to deal with getting him in and out constantly so we left him in.  He had tons of energy when we got to the top, and was zipping around and climbing all over the place, making us nervous.  We decided to try letting him climb down, since he had so much energy.  Unfortunately there were tons of small centipedes everywhere on the steps, and Gideon wanted to stop and look at every single one.  He was taking absolutely forever to come down.  So finally we ended up having to put him back in the hiking backpack which he did not want to do, and kicked and cried and screamed the rest of the down on Travis' back.   



Austin made this yummy strawberry cake.  It was delicious 


yummy cheesecake!




I think we wore him out!



turtle!



Joseph enjoyed feeding the birds, ducks, and fish







I love it when these boys all get along!


Bonus of me being in YW, is I get to go to their dances, and watch them!




 So the beginning of end of June and the beginning of July, Travis' sister Maia was able to come and visit us for a while.  It was nice to spend time with her, and do some "easy" hiking (Maia claims that none of the hikes were easy), and exploring.  On our hike to likelike falls, we took a wrong turn and it started getting pretty difficult so Maia and the kids and I turned around and found the right way, then made it to the falls, Travis climbed way up high above the falls, then climbed down from the top.  He ended up in a swarm of mosquitos, and got quite a few bites.  The hike was a bit muddy, so we all got pretty dirty, and their were a lot of mosquitos in the area, so we all got bitten a few times.  The end of June I got called to be the 1st counselor in the YW presidency, so I was released from cub scouts, and primary pianist callings, and I'm working in YW now.  I love working with the YW, and Betsy doesn't seem to mind me being her teacher.  For the 4th of July we rented some kayaks and kayaked out to Chinaman's hat, and climbed to the top.  It was a tricky climb with ropes and rock climbing, but we made it pretty safe for the little boys, by having Me at the bottom, Joseph in the middle, and Travis on the top, then we helped lift and guide the little boys through the climbing, with someone always within reach to help them if they fell.  It was pretty good teamwork, and the little boys loved making it to the top!  So July 13th I was taking the kids to their back to school physicals, and Betsy's heart rate was pretty high.  She had not been feeling well for the past 5 months or so.  I had been having to drive her to school from seminary, because she didn't feel well enough to walk.  After school, she would just lay down in her room for the rest of the day.   She had been really tired, having headaches, and feeling dizzy and short of breath.  On our cruise she had to walk to church from the cruise ship, and had a really hard time and threw up just before she got there.  I'd taken her to the doctor a few times, and they had given her a DEPO shot to help her periods to stop to see if that would help (she was having a lot of periods that were painful).  I had attributed a lot of her symptoms of side effects to the DEPO shot.  The doctor ordered some labs for Monday morning (the lab was closed since it was a Saturday).  So Monday morning I took Betsy in to get her blood drawn.  They called us within 20 minutes and told us to bring Betsy to the Emergency Room immediately that she had a critically low blood count, and absolutely zero iron in her blood.  So I took her in to the hospital, where they quickly brought her back to the room (I've never been seen in an emergency room so quickly).  They took some of her blood to match it to get ready for a blood transfusion.  The doctors were quite impressed with how low her blood count and iron was, and that she was still alive and walking around.  Her blood count was at a 3.7 which was the lowest the doctors there had seen in a live human.  They admitted her into the hospital and gave her three units of blood over the next 24 hours.  They attributed her low blood count to her heavy periods she had previously, (even though she hadn't had a period since she was given the DEPO shot in April). She tolerated the blood transfusions well and they gave her another DEPO shot since they only last for three months, and discharged her the next day.  It was a scary situation that could have easily resulted in her having a heart attack if we had pushed her into exerting herself too much, her heart was very stressed.  So Betsy stayed in bed for the rest of the month, as her body was trying to recover, and the doctor said to let her rest for a while, as her body had been through a lot.  We had some back to school activities at the end of the month, and Travis and I conducted a marriage class with a few games.  


No comments: