Sunday, November 1, 2015

Deployment

So, life as usual has been very crazy lately.  I have been having troubles with my computer for the last month and a half, so I haven't been keeping up on my blog very well.    Anyway I've probably already forgotten most of what has happened in the last month and a half, but the biggest thing is that Travis deployed.  Now, before I get to that, Travis and I were able to go to General/Chaplain Conference the beginning of October.  We got to go, just the two of us, it was so nice to be able to spend some time together before he had to leave.  We were able to get a Young Adult preparing to go on her mission, to watch our kids for the six days we would be gone.  She did an amazing job, and the kids were all fine while we were away.  We flew to Salt Lake City on Friday, Oct. 2nd.  We met Travis' sister Maia for lunch, and got to spend a little time with her.  That night we attended the banquet where Gary Stevenson (soon to be called apostle) spoke to us.  While we were there for Chaplain conference we got to hang out on Saturday with two Jordanian religious leaders who were there as VIP speakers for the conference.  It was really neat learning more about them and their country and touring around salt lake city, provo/byu, and sundance with them.  We ate ice cream from the BYU creamery, rode on a ski lift up in the mountains, and had a wonderful Jordanian dinner with all the Palestinian students from BYU.   Sunday we were able to attend all the sessions of conference, and go to dinner at the military relations missionaries house that we knew in Colorado Springs.  Monday, we attended all the sessions of chaplain conference, wonderful speakers (including the two Jordanians, and the wife of newly called apostle  Rasband)  We went to dinner at the cheesecake factory with some friends from Colorado Springs.  While we were walking back to our hotel, we ran into a man and woman who asked Travis about his military uniform and the "crosses" he was wearing on his uniform, and when he found out he was a chaplain asked him to pray for him, as his wife died last night.  We ended up sitting on a bench talking with them for a little while, and Travis prayed for them, it was interesting to see Travis ministering to them, the way he would for his soldiers, (I don't usually see this part of what he does firsthand).  Tuesday we had our final day of conferences.  I love going to conference, I come away feeling so rejuvenated, and filled with the spirit.  We spent the last night, just the two of us at a nice little Italian Restaurant that had delicious food.  We left Wednesday morning and flew back home, we had an almost 4 hour layover in Texas, so we didn't get home until almost dinnertime.  The kids were sure happy to see us.  Malachi would not let me put him down, or let anyone else near him.  We were very busy getting Travis ready to deploy, and he left Friday, Oct. 23rd.  He is getting settled in his base in Jordan, and we have been able to talk to him almost daily, so we know he is doing well.  The kids and I are adjusting to having him gone.  We are keeping very busy, as a lot of things got put off, since we were getting him ready to leave.  I was able to sell Travis' car for him this week, so I'm glad to have gotten that done.  The kids and I all went to a trunk or treat at the church Friday night, and we all went trick or treating last night, except for Joseph (he stayed home to pass out candy).  The kids all loved trick or treating, and had a lot of fun.  For the first hour, Malachi insisted on walking all by himself (he didn't want to sit in the stroller) and carried around his bucket of candy too.  He finally started tiring and allowing me to push him in the stroller at the end, but I was surprised how long he lasted. Other things that happened this past month and a half include:  Malachi split his chin open again, while we were at the park, and I took him to the ER and got it glued shut, (fastest ER trip ever, in and out in 45 minutes).  Travis had his birthday, I made him his delicious cake!.  Took a tour of the hospital labor and delivery area with Travis before he left.  Went to a fall festival on post as a family, and had a lot of fun.   Had Parent/Teacher conferences with all the kids teachers and they are all doing pretty well.  Finally got the kids all registered with CYS, so I can start using free childcare hours.  Austin had her first Orchestra concert.  Took Caleb and Malachi to the pumpkin patch with Joy School, and they had a blast!!  And the last thing I remember is that we had our primary program in church.  I also played the organ that sunday, and travis had already deployed, so the kids ended up by themselves for all of the sacrament meeting, becuase I went from playing the organ to playing for the primary.  But, Betsy, Samuel, and Caleb were all up on the stand with me for the primary program.  They seemed to do well, I never saw anything big going on, and Betsy, Samuel, and Caleb all did a great job on their parts.  We are now busy preparing for the holidays and the new baby to come.
Caleb playing at the park at the family organizational day for Travis' troop

Travis with his little boys

At the fall festival getting to pet a horse

At the fall festival Joseph and Samuel sparring.  Poor Joseph has a pretty big advantage, Travis finally told Samuel just to dive for Joseph's legs to know him down, and he did.

Malachi loves his stuffed animals (Ralphie is the dog and has been passed down from Travis to each of our boys)

Travis and I at Sundance, UT

Travis with the Jordanians

Happy Birthday Travis!

Getting Malachi's chin fixed

Caleb having fun at the pumpkin patch

Malachi swimming through the hay after jumping in with reckless abandon (just like he's been taught by older brothers)

Running along all the hay bales

Malachi and Caleb with their Joy school group

Caleb wanted to be a nerd like me, and stole my glasses

Caleb shaved a bald spot into his head, with my razor

Caleb playing at the park, loving the beautiful fall weather

Zombie Sam

Olaf and Monkey

All my little trick or treaters (okay, and some not so little)



Betsy Bunny

Austin Angry Bird

No comments: