Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Break

So to start off our spring break, last Friday, while the kids were in school.  I covered up the T.V., and when they got home explained we would have a "no t.v." spring break.  After their initial groans and upset exclamations, I explained that we would do a little spring cleaning project each morning, and then we would pick from a list of fun activities, and have fun the rest of the day.  They would also each pick one day to plan the meals, and help cook them.  They got more excited, as we made our list of fun activities.  I had looked up some fun activities on pinterest, and they liked my ideas.  The weather wasn't looking very good, so we planned a lot of indoor activities.  Saturday, we had planned to go into Denver to go to the temple, and take the kids to Dave and Busters, and arcade/game type family fun place.  There was a big blizzard when we woke up, and we debated whether or not we should go, but ended up deciding to go anyway.  We bundled everybody up, and put our 72 hour kits in the back of the car just in case, and headed off.  What normally would have been a one hour car ride turned into a two hour car ride in blizzard conditions. The children transformed into gremelins and ate their car seats. Then a giant heffalump came and noozled them with his trunk until they turned back into themselves. (Ignore the last two sentences, I left the computer for a few minutes, and Travis sat down and wrote that).  Anyway, Travis dropped the kids and I off at a place called Dave and Busters, it is a family fun center, with food and tons of arcade games.  Travis had been there before with a single solider retreat,and the manager had given him a $10 game card for each of our kids.  The kids and I had a great time.  I followed Caleb around, while the kids ran off and used up their game cards on games.  Samuel ended up playing skee-ball, but instead of throwing the ball up the ramp to the circles, he climbed up the ramp and put each of his nine balls into the 100 circle, so he won the jackpot and got over 650 tickets.  The second time he tried to do this, an employee caught him, and made him turn in all his winning tickets, and told him he couldn't play that game anymore.  Samuel was quite upset, but I helped him understand he had been cheating and that he had to play by the rules.  The kids ran out of points to play games after about a half an hour.  Since I knew Travis would be at least another hour and a half, I bought another $50 worth of points, but kept it all on my card to get the most points for our money.  Then every time the kids wanted to play a game, they had to find me, and get me to come and swipe my card for the game they wanted.  I succeeded in slowing them down a lot, but ended up getting dragged all over the place for the next two hours.  But we made it, until Travis showed up to come and get us.  By this point I was thoroughly exhausted and it was getting late, so we drove home.  It was a fun place, but definitely on the expensive side.  On Monday, the kids and I cleaned the kitchen for our project, and finished by lunchtime.  It was still snowing outside and very cold, so we did an indoor scavenger hunt.  Here is the list I made:
Indoor Scavenger Hunt List:
1.       A Shopping Bag                                                                 32.  Pillow
2. A Sticker                                                                                        33.  Glue
3. A Photograph                                                                              34.  Wii Wheel
4. Toilet Paper                                                                                                 35.  Scissors
5. Left Sock                                                                                        36.  Necklace
6. Rubber Band                                                                                37.  Measuring Cup
7. A Card                                                                                             38.  Daddy  Bear
8. A Coin                                                                                             39  Something that smells good
9. A Lego                                                                                             40.  Graded Homework
10. A Barbie                                                                                       41.  A Winter Hat
11. Right Shoe
12. A Pencil
13. Piece of Candy

14. Bob Book
15.  Tie
16.  Wash 4 dirty dishes and put them in the dishwasher
17.  Build a tower with blocks
18.  Paper Airplane
19.  A movie
20.  Draw a picture of a Caleb
21.  Scriptures
22.  A spoon
23.  Q tip
24.  A ball
25.  Soap
26.  Tape
27.  Mouse from mouse trap
28.  car
29.  a Crayon
30.  Toothbrush

I gave each of the kids their list, and told them that once they had everything they had to bring it to me, and I would check it off, then they had to return each item back where they found it exactly and then I would tell them their prize. 
This worked out really well, it kept them busy for a long time.  Poor Samuel though, he couldn't read everything, so he had to come back to me after each item, and ask me what was next on his list.  It was a lot of good exercise for them, because they were basically running the whole time, so they could be fast, and most of the items were on different levels of the house.  Well except for Betsy, she stopped and looked over her list, and found items that were in the same area of the house, and got them, then would move onto another area.  Travis had to go to a meeting that night, so the kids and I just had dinner and played some board games.  On Tuesday, we cleaned the living room, then the kids made invitations to invite their friends over to a dance party.  (Dancing with the Wii was the only time the T.V. was allowed to be on, since it was exercise).  So they bundled up and delivered their invitations.  Then we made some peanut butter dough, and shaped it into eggs and dipped them in chocolate.  Yummy.  We all did some dancing (to work off the sugar from the eggs).  The kids played on their own until Travis got home, and then we all went to a town hall meeting about Travis' upcoming deployment.  The kids all brought books to read, so they were good, and Caleb played on my kindle.  I learned that Travis is leaving the beginning of July, and will be going to the middle east until November.  (I can't tell the exact country due to security issues, until he is actually there, but we do know).  After the meeting we drove to IT'Z, another family fun center (but a lot cheaper).  We ate from the buffet, then played games for another hour.  I like this place better, because they have a play area for toddlers, that is all free.  Caleb had a great time, running around and climbing and having fun.  We all had a great time, but it was getting late, so we went home.
Wednesday, we cleaned my bedroom and bathroom.  Then we did a photo shoot.  I was making a photo book for Caleb, about the new baby coming, and what to expect when the baby does come.  So we took pictures of all sorts of different things, and the kids each doing things and playing with Caleb.   The kids had a fashion show, while I was making the book on the computer, and took pictures of each other.  We also had the dance party, that the kids invited their friends too.  We made popcorn and danced until we were all exhausted, but it was a lot of fun.  Travis had his bible study class that night, so the kids and I ate dinner and played board games again.  Thursday we cleaned the boys room and upstairs bathroom.  The weather was warming up a little, so we played outside for a little bit, went to the park, then had a limbo contest, played air hockey, and read (I was too tired for anything else).  Joseph got a dog sitting job for Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, so he went and met the dogs, and learned how to take care of them.  We had the missionaries over for dinner, and had a good time talking with them.  Friday, Travis didn't have to work! Yeah!!  he helped the kids clean the girls room, and downstairs bathroom, while I went visiting teacher.  Another lds chaplain family was moving in, so we watched their 2 and 5 year old boys until about 3pm.  We took them to the park, and played with them all day.  Travis took the kids to a neighborhood Easter egg hunt at 3pm, while I stayed home to teach piano (but they ended up cancelling so I just got to relax). Joseph basically spent all day playing with the dogs is he taking care of.   Caleb was getting sick again, and towards the evening was wheezing and having trouble breathing again.  I gave him a bath with "Breathe" oil in it, and they seemed to help him some.  We decided to have a movie night for a date night, and allowed the kids to watch "rise of the guardians" with us, since Caleb wasn't feeling well.  Caleb struggled all night long, and didn't sleep well at all, I had to give him is inhaler,and some nebulizer treatments to help him sleep.  He just kept telling me he "couldn't" sleep.  About 3am, I was telling Caleb I really needed to sleep in my bed, so he grabbed me by the hand, and took me to my room and told me to get in, so I climbed in bed, and he walked around to Travis side, and climbed up and over him, and snuggled in next to me.  He was still very restless and couldn't sleep well, but I did manage to get some sleep in between his tossing, turning, coughing, and grunting.  I was so tired Saturday, I was ready to give in and just tell the kids to watch cartoons all day, but instead we got up and went to pick up our bountiful basket, and grabbed some breakfast.  Caleb was feeling a little better (he always does better during the day).  Then we went to Costco and came home.  Caleb napped, and after trying to nap, and not being able too, due to dogs barking, and kids playing, Travis and I watched a movie together.  while the kids played.  I was too exhausted to cook dinner, so we went to Denny's (the kids all eat free there on Saturdays). When we got home, Travis and I got our plastic eggs ready for our Easter egg hunt.  We put a 1.5" glow stick and a coin in each egg, then we told all the kids to wait in the garage.  We turned off all the lights in the house, except on the stairs, and hid all the eggs.  We told the kids it was time for our glow in the dark Easter egg hunt.  We also explained the we celebrate Easter to remember Jesus' death and Resurrection and that he is a light in the darkness.  The kids were let in the house, and had a blast looking for the glowing Easter eggs.  After they had found them and collected all their money, they took turns re- hiding their glowing eggs, until finally after 9pm, I told them they really had to go to bed.  They took their eggs with them to bed, so I'm sure they didn't go to bed right away, but I'm just glad they had a great time, and didn't miss the candy part of Easter.  After giving Caleb his nebulizer treatment before he went to sleep, he slept all night long!!!!!  He is still struggling a little bit in his breathing, but it is so much better then yesterday.  I'm staying home from church with Caleb, and everybody else went to church.  We also colored eggs before they left, so we can have our Easter egg roll when they get home.  We had a lot more fun things planned, but I'm sure we can do them this summer.
Joseph, Austin and Caleb playing ball

Samuel throwing the ball at Joseph

Samuel eating a banana

Caleb looking for Easter eggs in the dark

Joseph, Samuel, and Caleb building towers

Samuel reading Caleb a book

Joseph, Betsy, and Caleb

Caleb holding the "new baby"

Samuel at the fashion show

working it

Joseph at the fashion show


Betsy at the fashion show

Austin at the fashion show

Daddy helping Caleb find eggs in the dark


Caleb found a glowing egg, and had to open it to figure out why it was glowing.

No comments: