Monday, March 18, 2013

life goes on

Meringue cookies with strawberry frosting I made for the ladies I Visit Teach

Samuel riding the racetrack at IT'Z (family fun center)

Caleb all bundled up and asleep after our walk on a cold day

Austin climbing at the park

Betsy at the park

Samuel and Betsy playing at the park

Austin hanging upside down like a monkey

Austin's cake that she bought for $25 at the dessert auction

All the pictures I uploaded are sideways this time, I'm not sure why, they were right side up on my computer.  The last couple of weeks have been boring for the most part because Caleb  has been sick, and Samuel was sick for a little while too.  So, I've been staying home not doing too much.  We've had some interesting weather lately.  It's been cycling through nice 60 degree weather, to blizzard days, and back again through the cycle.  I've taken Caleb to the park a couple of times hoping fresh air will help him get better.  He was definitely happier at the park, and so was I, I needed fresh air too.  Caleb has been sleeping terribly, and our neighbours are dog sitting for the next 2 months, and they bark all night, so I have been exhausted.  I've tried ear plugs, and even slept in Joseph's bed a couple of times, because his room is farther away from the dogs.  We found our that Travis is deploying either mid-june or july and will be gone to Kuwait until November.  The timing is horrible since, the baby is due mid-august.  While telling the kids about Travis leaving, and the baby being born while he is gone, Joseph piped up and said "I'll go with you to the hospital mom", I looked at Joseph and said "Joseph, what is happening when the baby is coming out of me", and then Joseph said " Oh yeah, well, umm....I'll wait in the waiting room at the hospital for you to be done with that stuff, I forgot the baby doesn't come out of your belly button".  I laughed and told him I appreciated his offer, and then he thought for a few more minutes and said "Mom, if you really need me, I'll help  you at the hospital, I'll just need to wear a blind-fold".  I really do have a sweet boy.  I told Joseph that I will keep him in mind, but Grandma is planning to come and help me in the hospital. 
Saturday was a busy day at our house.  In the morning I got to go to a Relief Society Breakfast, which was very nice to get a break from kids.  Meanwhile Travis watched the kids at home, and helped them work on their chores.  Samuel had a birthday party at noon, so I helped him finish his chore when he got home, and wrapped his present for his friend.  We didn't have any wrapping paper so we taped together an old "friend" magazine and used that.  Then I dropped Joseph off at the church since he had to be there early to prepare and set up for the scout spaghetti dinner.  Then I made a couple desserts to take to the dessert auction there, and we went to the dinner.  Joseph did a good job of being a server.  Although the dinner wasn't very good, that wasn't his fault.  We paid $20 for the dinner since it was a fundraiser.  After we ate they did the dessert auction.  Austin had some birthday money, and really wanted to buy a dessert.  So she bid and bought the cake she wanted for $25.  All the desserts went for more than I was willing to pay so we didn't buy any.  But, my homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream went for $45, and my three plates of chocolate scotcharoos went for $10 a piece, and my irish soda bread sold for $10 as well.  It was a fun evening, except Caleb wouldn't sit still, and we kept having to chase him everywhere. 
Yesterday was a good Sunday, although I still stayed home with Caleb, since he still isn't quite well enough for nursery.  I made bacon, german pancake and green smoothie for breakfast.  Travis told me he was bringing a solider home with him for lunch after church, so I decided to make our St. Patrick's day dinner for right after church.  I made Shepard's pie, steamed cabbage, irish soda bread, and a shamrock made of cucumber slices, surrounded by cantaloupe.  It was all delicious, except while making the Shepard's pie, the onion I was cutting was so potent, that I was crying like crazy, and my eyes were stinging horribly, I could barely see.  The smell bothered me so bad, that I couldn't even eat the pie, since I was so traumatized by the onion.  But, Travis told me it was really good.  We had Austin's cake, and homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert.  Then we played some games.  Austin really wanted to play "Apples to Apples", but since we only play church games on Sunday, we decided to make a church version.  So we got out white index cards, cut them in half, and made our own cards about the church and gospel.  It was a really good activity, and then after about an hour, we had enough cards to play the game.  It was fun, Travis made up some good definition and quotes, like, for instance for "Samson" he wrote "he really brought down the house".  Then we played some challenge games, where we would challenge another member of the family to do something, but we had to do it first.  We did things like doing the splits, putting together puzzles, and who could run up and down the stairs fastest.  Then we played "name that tune" with primary songs, and I gave out m & m's for the prizes. 

No comments: