At Pukai Bay for Memorial Day! Had fun swimming and getting buried in the sand
Got a "new to us" couch!
I want to hold daddy!
March 15th-So a pandemic with COVID-19 or Corona virus start in China in January, and has been moving throughout the world. It is a very contagious virus, and new, so no one has a defense against it. It seems to be most lethal to the elderly though, and spare young children, which is different. It has caused Countries to essentially shut down. The US has had it for a week or so, and the confirmed cases are growing, so travel and schools and large gatherings have shut down for the most part. The prophet has suspended all church meetings, activities, and gatherings. The virus itself is cause for concern, but what is most concerning is the people panicking. Stores, local and online are either out or running out of supplies, because people are panic buying. The lines to stores are crazy, and people are fighting over toilet paper and other items. Some people hoarded supplies purchased at the beginning of the panic and trying to resell at exorbitant prices, trying to make a profit. Several times a day people are posting on social media trying to find where they can buy basic necessities for their families, as most shelves are bare, even though stores are still getting shipments and restocking as best they can. We're all being advised to practice "social distancing" where we don't go to crowded places, and stay home as much as possible, if need to go out, stay 6 feet away from other people, and wash hands a lot. So far, here in Hawaii we only have 4 cases confirmed, but many people could have the virus right now and just not be showing symptoms yet. The kids just started spring break, and it's being extended another week, with longer school closures probably in the future. I miss not having my husband here, and not being able to discuss all these changes happening with him. I miss not having Joseph here (he left for California on Wednesday) . Both my priesthood holders in our family have left, and I'm here with six kids to take care of on my own. Samuel and I went to Costco two hours before they open in the morning on Friday to wait in line, and stocked up on supplies to hold us over for the next few weeks to a month. With everything being cancelled, I'm looking forward to spending quality time with my kids and focusing on a Christ-Centered Home. I love the peace I feel with the knowledge I have of the gospel, and knowing that God is aware of us and in charge. We were able to partake of the sacrament today at a neighbors house, and then hold our own little sacrament meeting at home.
March 22nd- Hawaii is now at 56 cases of the Corona Virus, and everywhere in the USA has it, and everyone is having measures implemented to try and stop the spread of the virus, it is very contagious and they are predicting that 40-80 percent of the population will get it. Here in Hawaii we have a "Shelter in Place" order starting tomorrow until April 30th, to not go anywhere, unless it is essential, like health care or groceries. Up to this point it had just been advised to not go anywhere unless you have to, but now they are shutting down everything not essential. For us, we have essentially been doing that anyway. Our spring break consisted of spring cleaning, and then playing games, watching T.V., and other indoor activities, with a few walks, and outdoor activities, but not with other people. Joseph is stuck in a hotel until the quarantine is lifted in California, and he is blowing through all his savings super fast! He hasn't been able to find a job, with everything shut down, so he is thinking of joining the army. He can't join the army for 30 days though, because they have a no contact order as well. Travis has been at Ranger School in Fort Benning, Georgia, and I finally heard from him this week. He has been recycled (meaning he has to redo the training for that phase), and it doesn't start until April 20th. He is stuck there, with not much freedom to do anything. He doesn't have his phone, or access to a computer, and isn't having much fun. We both have Faith in God that Travis will make it through this training if it is Heavenly Father's will for him. Yesterday and Today Gideon was sick (headache, stomach, and threw up in the morning), so we didn't have the sacrament, but we will next week. Today was a hard day with the kids, they seemed to be getting on each other's nerves a lot. The girls are not helpful at all, they stay in their rooms, and don't come out, unless it's to grab food, half the time I have to bring it to them (Mostly Betsy). It's frustrating dealing with the little boys constantly without any help, and I could have help, if only they are willing. Tomorrow we will try and have a routine with more educational activities. I have enjoyed having more time to teach the kids different things, and work on projects and activities together. Today we worked on origami, and played Bible go fish.
April and May pandemic
So everything has been shut down through the end of May. So I have had to do all my piano lessons via zoom (video conference through the computer). I moved Betsy's keyboard into my room and bought all the piano books my students use, so that I have a copy of the music in front of me. So, when I teach piano, I lock my door and have the older kids watch the younger ones. There are usually times when the kids bang on the door or I have to go see what is going on, but for the most part I'm able to concentrate on teaching. It is hard to teach through the computer, so the progress is a lot slower then teaching in person, but it still works. Sometimes the internet doesn't work very well, and I finally had to tell my kids to stop using the internet while I teach piano, and had to upgrade our internet as well. Sometimes when I would come out of my room after teaching piano, I never knew what disaster I would find. One time I came out to find that malachi and gideon had colored in red marker all over the house! It took a long time to clean it all up. I will definitely be glad when I can teach piano in person again.
We are still able to go do some hikes, so we have been able to do a couple hikes occasionally which has been nice. I have still been walking with two ladies in my neighborhood which has been awesome, to have someone to talk to. The kids school has been difficult. Malachi and Caleb all have to get on the internet at certain times for their classes, and Samuel and Austin haven't really been doing much, because most of it is optional.
I go to the store once or twice a month, and wear a mask to go. I wait in lines to get in the store, and sanitize everything once we get home. The stores are still out of a lot of things, like sanitizing stuff, toilet paper, paper towels, rice, and lots of other things. I was able to buy some hydrogen peroxide, so I fill a bottle with that, water, and purify essential oil, and use it to spray down the groceries and surfaces. I've let the kids pick one friend that they can play with outside in the neighborhood, but they still need to wear a mask, and wash their hands when they come inside. It's really hard on the kids, to not be able to go on outings as much and play. Malachi and Gideon and I went for a walk one evening and when we got back to the house they wanted to watch the stars come out, so we sat on camping chairs in our front yard and watched the stars come out. Then our neighbors came home and their kids wanted to do the same thing, so then the kids ended up playing together, and running around, and before I could stop them, they had run into their house and played in their backyard. It took me a while but I finally got them out, and apologized for having them running everywhere. They were having so much fun, but it's against the rules so I had to take the boys back home and give them baths, and told them that we still aren't allowed to go to other people's houses due to the corona virus getting people sick. Travis is still at Ranger school, and I get letters from him once every couple weeks, and cry everytime I read one. About every three weeks I get a 10 minute phone call, but the reception is horrible. It is really hard not to be able to communicate with Travis much during this time. Joseph and Jessica are still living with us. They were living in the garage at first, but then the bugs were biting Joseph too much, so we moved them to Samuel and Caleb's upstairs bedroom, and moved Caleb and Samuel to the couches downstairs. It is hard not having Samuel in a room to send him for time out or to just get him away from everyone for a while. They love to bug each other and fight so much! We have been having home church every Sunday. It has been really nice, everyone participates, and I think Fast Sundays are my favorite, as everyone takes a turn bearing their testimonies. We set up the front room with chairs, and I play the piano for the songs. Each week someone takes a turn and gives a 5 minute talk. Samuel passes the sacrament, and Joseph blesses it. Then I give prizes to everyone who was reverent and helped out. I have enjoyed getting to just spend time together. We have played lots of new games together, and been able to do morning devotionals and family home evenings without so many things to schedule around. Austin has still been going to work, and she is grateful that she is still able to make money. Wearing a mask and gloves is annoying, but I think she has gotten used to it.














No comments:
Post a Comment