Sunday, December 6, 2015

More Ice, sickness, and a good weekend

The kids designs from playing in the ice on their "snow day"
So the week started out as a snow day for the kids.  We had more ice storms.  I was really ready for the kids to go back to school after Thanksgiving break, but we still enjoyed our time off school.  The kids played in the ice, sledding, sliding and making the designs in our frozen grass.  Fortuneatly the the weather improved, and the kids were back in school on Tuesday.  Unfortunately Malachi wasn't feeling well.  He had a fever starting on Sunday, and the skin on the top of his head, forehead, and the side, and by his right ear started turning red, and getting swollen and warm.  He was pretty grumpy and miserable, but tylenol helped the fever go down, and he seemed happier.  The redness and fever were back again by Monday afternoon, and although the tylenol helped again, the redness and swollen tender skin seemed to be spreading and getting worse.  So by Tuesday morning I was ready to take my sad little boy to the doctor, the doctor diagnosed him with cellulitis (bacterial skin infection), and prescribed antibiotics for seven days, and more tylenol.   Finally, my sick little boy started feeling better.  Malachi's favorite thing to do is "play" with Daddy when he calls.  We facetime with Travis every day, and when he calls, Malachi takes the phone and carries his Daddy all around the house, (while I'm trying to keep up with him)  He likes to hug him and kiss him, and throw him in the ball pit, and then bury him, and then find him, take him down the slide and all sorts of things.  It's a good thing I have an otterbox on my phone to protect it.  I find that although Malachi loves doing this, it makes it very hard to have a conversation with Travis, so I have to wait for my turn, for Malachi to be done playing with his Daddy.  I reached 38 weeks in my pregnancy this week.  So we're getting pretty ready for the baby come.  I found out that by group B test was positive, which means that they will give me antibiotics during labor, and keep the baby closely monitored for infection for the first 48 hours in the hospital after he is born.  I have never been positive before, so I was surprised, by the doctor assured me that it's perfectly normal.  Joseph had a fever and was sick and stayed home from school on Thursday, but was back to school on Friday.  The weather has been really nice this weekend, sunny and in the high 50s.  We took a walk to the park, on friday after school, and the kids loved enjoying the nice fresh air!  Saturday morning when Malachi was trying to get me to get out of bed, I got a bad charlie horse in the calf, man that really hurt.  Poor Malachi didn't know what was going on, and was climbing all over me, trying to "fix it".  It had been so long since I have had a charlie horse, I didn't remember what I was supposed to do to help it feel better, so I told Malachi to bring me my phone, and he did so I could look up how to fix it.  After massaging and stretching it for a while, it finally was feeling better, although it is still quite uncomfortable.  We were able to get all our chores done, and I got the car seats reconfigured and the new infant carseat base installed in the car in preparation for the baby to come.  Saturday afternoon I went to a Chaplain Spouse get together and had a nice time visiting with the other ladies, and eating Hawaiian Haystacks.  Then I quickly drove home, and the kids and I and our friends the Prince's drove to Keats, KS (about 35-40 minutes) to go to a walk through outdoor live nativity called "Bethlehem Revisited"  It was pretty neat.  We would walk through all these different stations that took us through the birth, life, death, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.    The little kids enjoyed hiking along, and holding onto their glow sticks and playing with them.  The older kids got a little more out of it, and I was glad we came.  It took us a little over an hour to walk the whole thing.  On the drive home, I think all of the kids fell asleep, it was after 9pm by this point.  I ended up having to carry both Malachi and Caleb to their beds, but the other kids managed to get themselves to bed, there was no way I was carrying them.

No comments: