Sunday, February 23, 2014

Kitchen Remodel begins and Caleb's birthday

The Kitchen before the remodel (notice that there is no dishwasher)



Malachi discovered his toes are the best toys


The kitchen as we are tearing apart the walls


Caleb's birthday cake (I didn't make it)(no oven)

Caleb got more cars




Caleb loves his scooter from his Grandma and Grandpa Hardy





Playing at the park on Caleb's birthday






more tearing apart the kitchen

We finally got the last of the cabinets out
So the last couple of weeks have been really busy.  Travis has been doing about 2 funerals a week, plus a retreat every weekend.  The first weekend we went with him to the retreat, it was a couple's retreat in downtown Colorado Springs, at the Antler's Hilton hotel.  It is a very nice hotel, and we had a great weekend.  The kids loved swimming in the pool every chance they got, and we got to eat out every meal, and the kids were in childcare playing with Travis taught the retreat.  I  also helped him with some games, and took Joseph to a scouting event.  On Saturday night (the last night of the retreat) we put the kids to bed (they were all in one room, while Travis, the baby and I were in the other) and Joseph turned on the T.V. and the kids watched T.V. for hours.  So when we went to church the kids were cranky and exhausted.  Some of the kids slept through sacrament meeting and some slept through their sunday school classes, and the rest fell asleep when we got home from church.  The next weekend was Valentine's Day weekend, but at the beginning of the week Caleb got sick, and I spent on night, up all night with him, he ended up having an ear infection (the first one he has ever had).  I took him to the dr. and got him on antibiotics the next morning.  I wasn't feeling well either, but a lot of it was probably due to lack of sleep.  By the weekend we were feeling a little better, and Travis got us two rooms at Glen Erie (the place where he was having the next retreat, but wasn't an overnight one).  It was a nice Valentine's present from my sweetheart.  The kids made it not so fun, by fighting a lot and being really difficult to get to sleep, plus the beds were uncomfortable so no one slept well.  But the area was beautiful, and the food was good.  We spent the rest of the day at Travis' retreat.  This last week we had Caleb's birthday on the 17th.  He is 3 years old now, and is 25lb with his coat and boots on.  Caleb really wanted to have a party, so we had his friend Liam's family come over, and had cake and ice cream with them.  Caleb loved getting new cars, and a scooter from Grandma and Grandpa Hardy.  He takes his scooter everywhere, and rides it all over the house when it is too cold outside.  I didn't make his cake this year, since I currently don't have a stove.  I have two piano students whose mother is a professional cake maker, and I traded her services this month, I teach her daughters piano lessons, and she makes birthday cakes for Caleb and Austin this month.  Caleb got some birthday money from his Grandma Kathy, so I took him to the store and he picked out a small trampoline, and has been having fun jumping on it.  Every Monday night for FHE we have been tearing apart our kitchen getting it ready to be remodeled.  The kids love it, they are great at tearing everything apart, and even cleaning up after it too.  We have been eating in the wet bar area downstairs, cooking with the crockpot, microwave, toaster oven and griddle.  It's been a bit of a change, but it's not too bad.  The most annoying part is everything is over carpet, so it is a pain to clean.  This weekend Travis's retreat was on friday at IT'Z, the kids had school, but we let them skip it, so they could come with us.  We were there all day.  Everyone had a great time, spending the day playing games, watching movies, and eating.  Travis taught the first half of the day, and then had to go do a funeral so we just played until he got back, and then played some more until bedtime.  I beat both Joseph and Samuel at the rock climbing.  Yesterday was our temple day, we have been trying to go to the temple since Travis got back from Kuwait, but the move was crazy busy, and then the temple was closed, and then Travis had the retreats every weekend, so we were happy to finally make it to the temple.  Travis and I took turns going to an endowment sessions at the temple, and we went to lunch at Cafe Rio in between sessions.  We each took the kids to a park while the other was in a session.  I had fun chasing the kids around the park, and definitely got my workout in.  Yesterday while at the park, I told the kids I had to change Malachi and then we would go exploring, Samuel starts crying hysterically and yelling "no, no, no!!! You can't change Malachi!" He is trying to grab Malachi, and I'm so confused, I asked Sam what he is talking about and he said (well sobbed) "Don't change Malachi, I love him so much, I love him just the way he is, don't change him!" I laughed and told Sam "It's okay Sam, I'm just changing his diaper, he pooped." Samuel immediately let go of Malachi and said "oh! That's okay, just don't ever change him, I like him just the way he is." After I changed Malachi's diaper, we started going down a trail, after we had walked about a half an hour, I saw a sign saying the trail we were on was an 8 mile loop, so I told the kids we better turn around, and go back.  We were about halfway back when Caleb sat on the ground and said "my feet hurt, and can't move anymore" so I gave Malachi to Austin and carried Caleb the rest of the way, while the girls took turns holding Malachi.  We finally made it back to the car, and most of the kids slept all the way home.  So after today at church, I now have 4 callings in the ward.  I am currently the primary pianist, a cub scout den leader, and next week start my callings of ward organist and choir pianist.  These callings will definitely keep me busy.  Last Thursday I had to take all of the kids with me to scouts, since Travis had a stake meeting.  Of course the older kids were in their activities, and I just had to keep the 3 little boys with me.  Samuel loved it, since he got to participate even though he isn't eight until November.  Also this Sunday, Travis was teaching gospel doctrine(his calling) during the 3rd hour (they switched it around, just for today, due to the temple president speaking to us during the 2nd hour) So I had to hold the baby on my lap while playing the piano in primary.  It worked out okay though.  We had a good FHE tonight about keeping the sabbath day holy, the kids actually listened well (except for Sam).  I love my husband and children.  Even though they drive me nuts sometimes, they bring me so much joy! 

No comments: