Sunday, August 11, 2013

Malachi Emmanuel Kirkman

Joseph and I walking into the hospital 
Joseph and I walking toward the maternity ward

Walking up three flights of stairs

concentrating during a contraction

Baby Malachi arrives

Bonding time

Talking to daddy on the phone

Malachi being weighed and bathed (6 lb 6 oz, 20 in. long)

Joseph and Samuel holding new baby brother

Austin excited to hold baby malachi

All my children (yes caleb is sleeping)





This was the view outside my hospital window, construction guys climbing up and down all day long starting at 6am

I can't believe I have 6 kids


Betsy on the first day of school


So the big event arrived, a little sooner than anticipated (by 8 days).  Monday at my OB appointment my dr. checked me and I was basically the same as last week, so I assumed I was in it for the long run.  Tuesday morning I woke up and by 6am was having a few contractions and they were a little stronger than normal, but not too close together so we went on our walk.  By the end of our walk they were getting stronger and closer together, but I figured once I got home and laid down, they would start going away.  After getting home, they just kept coming and getting stronger, so I finally realized I was in actual labor and would be having the baby, the day before my mom came.  I started praying a lot, and telling the kids that I was going to have the baby today.  I had a lot planned for the day, a PWOC picnic, the carpet cleaning company was coming to clean the carpets, it was back to school night for the kids, and YM and activity days for the girls.  I started by cancelling the carpet cleaning, and texting my friend Leslie to tell her I was in labor, and to see if she could watch my kids, once I decided to go to the hospital.  Joseph was now my backup labor coach, since my mom wasn't here yet.  Now that the reality was setting in, he said he didn't know if he could do it, but when I told him I was going alone if he didn't come, he changed his mind, and said he could handle it.  He carried around the tennis balls in his pocket and applied counter-pressure to my back, when I was having a bad contraction.  My friend Leslie texted me back and said she was coming right over.  She ran so fast, she was breathing really hard when she got here, (she lives the next street over) she was really nervous for me (I was calm).  When she saw how close my contractions were coming, she quickly helped me get everything together and piled everyone into the car.  We took all my kids over to her house, where her husband started watching 10 kids, my 5, and her 5.  She drove Joseph and I to the hospital and said she would like to make sure we got checked in okay, and to see where I was at.  (I guess if you're not dilated enough they won't admit you yet).  She took pictures of Joseph and I walking in the hospital and up three flights of stairs since I hate elevators.  We arrived at the hospital about 11am.  My contractions were coming closer to 2 minutes apart now and pretty strong, so I knew it wouldn't be long.  They checked me, and I was 7cm dilated, so they moved me to the birthing room.  I kept trying to call Travis or skype but it wasn't working.  Joseph started playing video games in the corner, while they were getting everything ready.  I was praying during every contraction, and told them I needed them to break my water so I could start pushing.  The midwife, got everything ready, broke my water, and I started pushing, after about 3 big pushes Malachi came out, and they gave him right to me.  He was born at 12:08.  He is my little miracle, so sweet and pure.  They checked everything out, and he was good.  They let me hold him about an hour before they weighed him at 6 lb 6oz.  and 20 inches long.  I was able to talk to Travis, and tell him about his newest son.  Everything had happened so fast, that my friend Leslie was still there, making sure everything was taken care of, and that I had everything I needed.  I was so glad she stayed, since Joseph ended up just playing video games on my kindle once we got to the hospital.  They transferred me to the mother/baby room, and once I was settled in there, Leslie finally left to go relieve her husband of the 10 kids he was watching, and then he came and saw the baby for a few minutes before he had to go somewhere else.  Leslie's family was able to get the kids to their back to school night, and to YMs and activity days.  Joseph stayed with me at the hospital until it was time for YMs.  All the kids came to visit and meet their little brother.  They all love him, and took turns holding him.  I took some motrin to help with the afterbirth pains, but other than that was starting to heal nicely.  Little Malachi and I didn't sleep well, but that's to be expected in a hospital.  The next morning I told them I wanted to go home, so they started the discharge paperwork.  The kids came to visit again, and Austin stayed with me this time.  Both Malachi and I were recovering fine, and Malachi was eating good so we left the hospital about 1pm.  Leslie's husband picked us up, while she took the other kids to pick up my mom from the airport.  We got home, and shortly after, my mom and the kids all arrived home too.  My mom is amazing, she immediately took over caring for all the kids and household cooking and cleaning duties.  A family did bring us dinner that first night, but she has been doing everything else.  I love my mom, and feel very blessed to have her.  I have been able to skype with Travis and show him his beautiful little boy, and talk to him every day.  I'm working on getting Malachi to sleep better at night, and trying to do a little more with the kids and house stuff each day.  I'm recovering well, just tired and sore.  All the kids love Malachi, and love to hold him.  Betsy has been a sweetheart, being very helpful and kind.  The kids all started school on Thursday, and enjoy school so far, except Austin doesn't even have a teacher, just a substitute.  I feel very blessed to have so many people helping me, and feel my heavenly father lifting me up, and helping me with my burdens.  

No comments: