Thursday, September 9, 2010

Samuel's Scooter Accident

Samuel and his "owwies"
Austin comforting Samuel after his scooter accident

Travis  was picking the kids up from school on Friday, because I wasn't feeling very  well, and he and Samuel rode a scooter to get them.  Well just as they were getting to the school, the scooter hit a large crack in the sidewalk and Samuel face-planted onto the sidewalk.  Travis scooped him up, and saw his scraped up face and took him into the nurses office in the school, got him some  Tylenol and ice and picked up the kids, and ran Samuel home to me, while the kids kept up with Travis as best they could.  I was in my bed upstairs and heard Samuel's crying before they even got to the house.  I took Samuel in my arms, while Travis explained what happened, after about 10 more minutes Samuel finally calmed down and fell asleep.  We kept ice on his lip, it was quite swollen, and put antibiotic ointment on his scrapes.  He slept in my arms for 1-2 hours and then started waking up, crying about his face hurting.  But thankfully a package had just arrived from Grandma Kirkman for Betsy's birthday and she always puts things in it for all the kids.  Samuel was so excited about the package that he forgot about his face hurting for a little while.  For the rest of the day he was pretty sad, and trouble eating because his lip hurt, but with another dose of Tylenol and cartoons he made it through.  Saturday morning we had a list of chores for all the kids to do, and Samuel worked really hard and got all of his chores done so we took everyone to the farmer's market.  Samuel really wanted some of the produce at the farmer's market, and after looking at his face I couldn't turn him down, so he got most of the stuff he wanted.  He picked out a cantaloupe, and carried it the whole time, he didn't want anyone else touching his cantaloupe.  He ended up eating the whole thing, he loves cantaloupe.  He picked out corn too, but he ended up not being able to eat any until Sunday, because it hurt his lip too much.  Samuel has healed pretty quickly and his owwies are mostly gone now.  Last night Samuel was a little sneak.  In the middle of the night he snuck into my room and took my water that I keep by my night stand, and took it back into his room.  When I woke up at about 4 in the morning and went to grab my water, and was surprised to discover it wasn't there.  I knew I had put my water right there, and looked around to see if it fallen, but I couldn't find it, I woke up Travis and asked him if he knew where it was, and he didn't.  I got up and got another drink from the kitchen, and tried to go back to sleep.  But, of course I couldn't go back to sleep, I couldn't figure out where my water had disappeared too, so I finally got up again to check on the kids and make sure they were okay, and discovered my water cup on the dresser next to Samuel's bed.  I couldn't believe he had snuck into my room and taken my water cup, but I should have known, he is always taking my water cup during the day.  So anyway, I was finally able to go back to sleep.  When Samuel woke up I asked him why he took my water, and he said "cuz, I wanted to" silly boy, oh well, at least I know some physco didn't break into my house just to steal my water cup and make me think I'm losing my mind. 

No comments: