Friday, February 12, 2010

Samuel The Pitiful

I have been blogging a lot about Samuel, and it's not that I favor him more than my other children, their is just more to tell since he is at the lovely age of 3 years old, when children get into tons of mischief. Samuel has been in prime mess-making form this week. I was in my room for ten minutes, and when I came out, Samuel had gotten into the refrigerator and taken 3 big tubs of unopened yogurt out, and it looked like he couldn't figure out how to open it, since it was sealed, so he proceeded to set them on the kitchen floor and stomp on them, so obviously the tubs split and the yogurt spilled out, Samuel must have thought this was fun, so he did it to the rest of the tubs, and continued this process with the rest of the tubs of yogurt. Then had fun playing in the yogurt and spreading it around. Samuel must have gotten bored with just one texture, so he got out his Dora Cereal, and dumped that onto the ground with the yogurt. Bytheway, I had just mopped (it figures). I made him clean it up the best he could, and then I finished cleaning it up. Next on my list, is that Samuel discovered the water sprayer by the kitchen sink. Again I was in my room for a few minutes (I think I'll just have to never do anything in my room) I heard the water running, but Samuel likes to do the dishes, so I didin't think anything of it. I came out of my room, to check and him, and thank him for doing the dishes. He was spraying water all over the room! Man that water piled up quick, but again Samuel had to help mop it all up with several big bathroom towels. Samuel has also started running away or hiding with food, becuase he knows he'll get into trouble if he doesn't eat it at the kitchen. The kids were home from school, and I was giving them each a caramel for a snack. Samuel had already had his, and he wanted to give Betsy hers, so I handed it to him, and he started to try and open it, I told him he had already had his and he needed to give all of that to Betsy. He asked if he could have a small piece of it, and I told him to ask Betsy. She said "no" and I told Samuel to give all of it to Betsy. He quickly unwrapped it, and handed to Betsy, but when she grabbed it, he didn't let go, so he came away with a piece of Betsy's caramel. As soon as this happened he immediatly started running, I broke into a sprint trying to catch my little 3-year old who was running as fast as he could, twisting and dodging me. He made it to the girl's room and dove underneath Austin's bed, and wriggled into the corner. I dove under the bed, and squirmed my way towards Samuel, knowing I had him cornered. I had almost reached him, and what does he do? He shoved that caramel into his mouth and starts laughing hysterically. I couldn't help it, I actually laughed for a minute, before coming to my senses, dragging him out and putting him into time out. Sometimes I don't know where this kid came from, but he will probably make a good quarterback someday. He also loves vegetables. I buy some veggie patties from Costco, and Samuel will get into the Fridge and snack on them all day long. He'll grab one and hide behind the bean bag in the living room. He probably eats a couple of them a day lately. The only bad thing is, that he eats them cold, and they have onions in them, and it makes his breath smell terrible. Anyway the other night it was almost bed time, and I was making some cookies, so I asked Betsy to play with him and keep him out of trouble. I guess I should have known better than to put a 5 year old in charge of a 3 year old. So anyway, it was time to put kids to bed, so I called for them in my happy sing-song voice (I like to make cookies), and as I passed the bathroom, I saw my last bottle of shampoo sitting at the edge of the bathtub(in the past week Samuel has dumped out 8 bottles of shampoo or body wash, and I had a very stern talk with him about doing that). A feeling or dread came over and as I looked into the bathtub, sure enough the entire bottle had been dumped into the empty tub, and spread around. I called for Samuel again, and this time their was no sing-song in my voice. I found him and Betsy in Joseph's room (he has been told many times he's not allowed in this room, becuase that is where I keep all my crafts and sewing stuff, also I put Austin's pinata in it for her birthday). There he was sitting on Austin's pinata poking holes in it. That was the final straw, I picked up Samuel, put him in his room, shut and locked the door, and told him to go straight to bed, fully intending to let him cry until he fell asleep. I know, horrible, but I was really mad. So anyway I go into the living room and turn on the t.v., to drown out the sounds of Samuel's crying. After a few minutes, I put the rest of the kids to bed, and as I was doing that I heard Samuel screaming and sobbing "Remember, Mommy, Please Remember.....I'm your Sweetie...."over and over again. That was it, my heart melted. I opened the door and took him into my arms. Still sobbing, he told me, he would be a good boy, and never go into that room again or dump out shampoo bottles. I told him, I forgave him, and loved him, and he was still my sweetie, and hugged and kissed him goodnight. That little boy, no matter what he has done, knows exactly how to make it all better. I love my crazy little boy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are such a great mom. Someone once told me that if there is room for growth we would continue to have challenges but we dont have to suffer because Jesus already did that for us. I think you have challenges, but you continue to be so chearful about it. We are a great example of motherhood. Keep sharing with us. I love reading about little Sam.

Stan and Debbie said...

Kayley, I don't know where you got all your patience; it sure wasn't from me. It's a good thing you're Sam's Mom, and not me. You are a very loving Mother.
Mom