Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Happy New Year, we made it three whole days before a trip to the ER!

Samuel and Caleb sledding




The snowman we made while waiting for Joseph to be done with his appointment


Malachi fell asleep while shopping at Wal-mart

Austin making her catapult 

Joseph making his catapult

Caleb making his catapult 

Joseph, Austin, Betsy, and Caleb with their finished catapults
Joseph's broken toe (the middle one)

Joseph wearing a boot and walking with crutches

So I ended up taking Joseph to the ER saturday night for a broken toe.  Normally with broken toes, they just get taped together, but when Joseph got home from swimming at the YMCA with Travis and Betsy and showed me his toe, I knew I had to take him in.  I should have taken a picture of it then, but the middle toe was completely crooked and overlapping the toe next to it.  Joseph says that he jumped into the pool, and accidently kicked a persons ankle (splitting and jamming his toes apart).  So I quickly made dinner, we ate, and then I took Joseph to the ER, they took xrays, and then waited two more hours to see the dr.  The dr. said his toe had been fractured at the base, right on his growth plate.  He numbed up Joseph's toe, and tried to manipulate it back into place, but it would not straighten back out.  The dr. finally taped his toe to his other toe, and gave him a hard soled "shoe" to wear, and told us it might need surgery, but the podiatrist would be able to tell us better, and to see the specialist first thing monday morning when they open.  So I took Joseph home, gave him Ibuprofen, and put him to bed.  He still managed to hobble around enough to go to church and pass the sacrament, but by the end of church, was in serious pain, and I practically carried him to the car.   I took him to the podiatry clinic first thing this morning, and the dr. was able to set his toe properly, so he won't need surgery.  He will need to wear a boot for four weeks, and use crutches for the first few weeks.  Also since the fracture was on his growth plate, his toe won't grow anymore, so he will probably have a stubby toe on

No comments: