Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Garage Sale

I've been really busy the last few weeks getting ready for the garage sale yesterday. It is the post-wide yard sale, and there is tons of people that come to them, so Travis wanted me to sell most of our furniture, so he wouldn't have to move it to Utah. Then when we get to Utah, we'll go D.I. shopping so we fit the "starving students" persona. The process was stressful, and I only did it because I love my husband so much, but if he asks me to do it myself again, I will say "no". For a bake sale I made homemade carmels Wednesday night, and dipped them in chocolate Thursday, and made Oreo cookies, and Friday I made 6 loaves of my artisan bread. Saturday morning I made cinnamon struesel muffins. Friday night Joseph helped me move the game table, couches, and table and chairs, bean bag, stools, dresser, nightstands, bed, exc... out to the garage, and it was packed. It was a lot of work, but Joseph was a big help, but I was sure sore afterward. So I wake up at 3am Saturday morning, and start getting stuff ready to go, as soon as the sunlight started coming about 6am, I opened my garage, and right away all these Hispanics start coming in, and going through the stuff in the garage, and the hordes of people didn't stop until noon, I had one little break about 11:15am, and started pulling stuff in, then got swamped with people again, until noon. It was very stressful trying to make deals with 3-4 people at the same time, and have the kids causing trouble at the same time. The did watch cartoons some of the time, but being outside was much more interesting. I had a lot of things stolen when I wasn't looking, and a lot of dishonest people come through, that took advantage of the fact that I couldn't watch everyone like a hawk at the same time. Samuel's bike that we gave him for his birthday was stolen, and a lot of electronics, and toys, and clothes, and even a weight bench. Most people were very nice, but there had to be a few rotten ones in the mix to ruin the experience. One thing I should mention is that the wind was blowing like crazy, and it was cold.... so I only pulled the big furniture out to the driveway, and most of the stuff was inside the garage, so people would rummage through things not for sale and take those too. I was supposed to teach a gardening lesson at a relief society meeting at noon, and I really tried to make it, but things were crazy and I couldn't get away in time and missed it, I felt really bad about it. But I finally got the couches, game table, rocking chair, and dresser back inside, and closed up the garage, and went in the house, and since there was nothing to sit on, I went into my room and laid down on my bed. Man....was I ever exhausted and sore, we didn't do anything the rest of the day, but be lazy, I was too tired. But, we did make a lot of money on the stuff we did sale. Joseph and I dragged in the love seat so we could sit in the living room, and were sitting at a folding table and chairs to eat. The kids love having tons of space to run around and play in the living room.

1 comment:

The Hunter Family said...

You poor thing. You are a stronger woman than I am because I wouldn't have even attempted a garage sale by myself. When do you guys move though? We miss you all a lot.